Do you currently have artificial grass on your property? Perhaps you’re considering installing fake turf around your home? Then you’ll need to know how to maintain your artificial grass properly to ensure it performs well over the long term and remains in optimal aesthetic condition.
Although fake grass requires far less maintenance than a live lawn, it does need periodic cleaning. If you’re unsure of the best way to clean your artificial turf, read on for helpful tips you need to know.
1. Appropriate Cleaning Frequency for Artificial Grass
First and foremost, you must ensure you clean your fake grass on a routine schedule. If your turf sees plenty of foot traffic and heavy use, it’s in your best interest to clean it weekly to mitigate dust, dirt, and debris accumulation.
If you allow your pets to relieve themselves on your artificial turf, you’ll need to clean it more frequently to keep your lawn sanitary. But if your turf is more of an aesthetic installation and doesn’t see considerable traffic, you can probably get away with bi-weekly or monthly cleaning sessions.
2. Removing Dust, Dirt, and Yard Debris
If your artificial grass doesn’t see much traffic, you can remove accumulated dirt and debris with just your garden hose. Simply give your turf a gentle spray with clean, cool water and allow it to air dry. It’s also a good idea to use a lawn rake or stiff broom to give the turf a good sweep, which will help keep the blades of grass in their upright position.
3. Removing Minor Stains
Artificial grass is designed to be lived on, so it’s no big deal if you accidentally spill beverages, food, or other substances on your fake turf. Getting mild stains out of your artificial lawn is remarkably easy — simply blot up whatever spilled and wet the area with a hose. Once the grass is damp, apply a mild soap, give it a gentle scrub, and rinse it thoroughly with cool water.
4. Stubborn Stain Removal
Artificial grass is largely stain resistant, so even if your turf develops what looks like stubborn staining, you shouldn’t have a tough time removing the residue. Here’s what you’ll need to do to clean up stubborn stains on your fake grass:
- Wet the area with a garden hose.
- Apply a mild detergent and use a bristle brush to gently lift the stain from the grass.
- Rinse the detergent away with a garden hose.
- If the stain doesn’t respond to mild detergent, you’ll need to apply a more heavy-duty cleaner like ammonia. If that doesn’t work, try using mineral spirits and make sure you thoroughly rinse off the cleaner when you’re done.
5. Removing Sticky Residue From Fake Grass
If tree sap, gum, or any other sticky substances get stuck in your artificial turf, cleaning up sticky residue is remarkably simple. Just wet the area with your garden hose and apply a mild cleaner or 50-50 mix of white vinegar and water to dissolve the residue. Give the turf a gentle scrub with a bristle brush, and when you’re finished, rinse the cleaner off with your garden hose.
6. Cleaning Pet Waste Off Artificial Turf
If you have pets that relieve themselves on your fake grass, clean-up is pretty simple. Wait until any solid waste dries completely, and then proceed with the following steps:
- Pick up the waste using a scooper, bag, or whatever you’d normally use to pick up pet waste on a live lawn.
- Rinse the area thoroughly with your garden hose. Avoid using a pressure washer as it can damage the turf.
- Spray all areas where your pets relieve themselves weekly. You can use a standard household cleaner for this job.
- Use a stiff-bristled brush to give the turf a gentle scrub.
- Rinse off the cleaner with your garden hose.
- Apply an odor neutralizer to eliminate any remaining foul scents.
- Allow the turf to air dry.
Looking for Artificial Grass Installation in the Austin, TX, Area?
If you’re considering installing artificial grass to cut down on lawn maintenance, our team at Lawn Pop would love to help you out! Whether you’re looking for fake grass for your home, a sports complex, or a commercial property, we’ve got you covered. We serve the Austin metro and surrounding areas and have proudly delivered top-notch fake grass installation for the last decade. To learn more about our services or discuss your artificial turf needs, feel free to give us a call today at (512) 298-0933 or request a free estimate, and we’ll be in touch promptly.